Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tuesday, 15 August 2006


  • Tonight I did something rather silly...  I sat down and watched the Miss Teen USA pageant.  Except for a half hour break... in which I watched The Brady Bunch ...  I saw the whole thing...
    There were several things that disturbed me about this particular pageant...  I could go on and on, but the thing that really caught my attention was the final question.  None of the girls seemed able to give an articulate answer, but the most shocking one came in the form of a defintion of integrity.  I was absolutely stunned when one of the final contestants answered (in essence) that integrity meant not stopping at anything until you get what you want.  I almost chuckled... almost... as I thought about how sad it is that teenagers parading themselves in bikinis on national television, and competing to be the spokewoman for all teenagers (as the announcers so frequently reminded me), seemed clueless when it came to this concept...
    I was further amazed... and disturbed... when she won.
    So...  to the beautiful and awesome teenage girls who bother to read this site...  Here is a definition of integrity, according to www.dictionary.com:
    1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
    2. The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
    3. The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.
    I hope this is what you'll strive for.  And I also hope that you'll be educated enough to refrain from defining words you don't understand... at least in the presence of thousands upon thousands of people...
    Lisa

No comments: