Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Friday, July 17, 2009

Circus City U.S.A.

... Who would've thought...

I mean, seriously... When I was a kid I never said anything to myself like, "When I grow up I hope I live in a town in which everything in life revolves around clowns and organ music... and for a full week every year, no one functions except to eat cotton candy and tenderloins... and to spend twice as much as a day at Cedar Point on a handful of carnival rides..."

In just a little while, here, I am going to pack Caleb and Ian into the wagon, and then I am going to walk downtown to purchase tickets for tonight's show. And I don't really mind going to the show. We have a couple of teens who participate in circus, and I rather enjoy seeing their acts, if nothing else. What the kids do is impressive. But the overall pervasiveness scares me more than just a little bit...

People who cannot pay their basic utilities, rent, or mortgage throw cash around like it grows on trees during circus week. People completely forget about their responsibilities, and they don't even bother to call. Heck, half the town forgets what day of the week it is! In fact, I forgot what day of the week it was yesterday...

The other day I stopped and wondered if Frank Peretti was walking through the streets of our town during Circus week when he penned the first chapter of "This Present Darkness"... If he wasn't, he could've been...

Time to eat an elephant ear...

Lisa

No comments: