Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Money Pit...

… was a funny movie in 1986 (I guess… I haven’t seen it since about that year, so this isn’t a recommendation or anything…). I did just check out the tagline, “For everyone who's ever been deeply in love or deeply in debt”… and I laughed… uh… sort of. It wasn’t that deep kind of belly laugh that you make when something is really funny. It was more sardonic… a lot more sardonic…


So this all began with me… standing in the kitchen… choking down raw vegetables and thinking about how I really needed to write a blog post about them, because they were gross, but I was proud of myself for making a healthy choice in the midst of a desire to stress eat, instead.


Enter Grace: “Mommy, the living room roof is leaking!” Said in the way that only Grace can convey a sure disaster… followed by me thinking, “Seriously? ‘Cause it’s not even raining!”


So I go out into the living room, and I mean the roof is not just leaking… it’s pouring… in several locations… At this point, I look outside, just to make sure it’s not raining and that the house has not been picked up in a funnel cloud or strewn across the country or anything… and that there are no witches on bicycles riding by my window. Assured that none of these events have taken place, I begin to think rationally again…


And it occurs to me that the bulk of the water is coming from right below the upstairs bathroom… where my oldest child… notorious for ridiculously long showers… is…


So I shout, “Grace! Run upstairs and tell your brother to turn the shower off!” Which she does… but it’s already off. In her absence, I also run to the kitchen and grab as many mixing bowls as I can to stop the water… because I don’t know where we keep the buckets…


And Caleb suggests that we call a plumber…


And I immediately think of Mario and Luigi…


And then I think of Bowser and wonder if we might be better off calling a demolition team…


I calmly call up to Seth and instruct him to get downstairs as quickly as he can, because I’m not sure if the living room roof is going to cave in or not… and Seth appears… wearing clothes that are soaking wet. I might have had slightly more mercy if the first words out of his mouth weren’t, “Hey Mom… the bathroom is kinda like a shallow swimming pool!” These words were said with great excitement… as if it’s really cool that we now have a second level indoor swimming pool…


Amazingly, however, when asked how this happened, he had no idea! I’m almost positive, myself, that it had something to do with the Lego submarine that I found floating around the bathroom floor…


So I dried the bathroom floor out… and let me tell ya, it took a lot of towels…


And on my way back down the stairs I hear Grace proclaiming that the living room is leaking a lot less (no kidding… thanks for letting me know…)


And I don’t really even want to think about how much damage there is. But I finished my vegetables… and a whole container of raspberries… and I’m gonna go get that ice cream now…


Lisa

No comments: