Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Laughing Out Loud…

As if there was any question about my serious “dorkdom”, I think I took it to a new level this afternoon…

I have this thing about losing my cell phone. Actually, I just have this thing about my cell phone in general. If you know me at all or have ever read anything about the beat up piece of light pink metal I carry around (sometimes… when I can find it), you know that it has taken multiple swims in the toilet and only has certain buttons that function, making it quite the show when most other people would just press “send”. And I literally can’t text, even if I knew how to, because with only so many working buttons, there are only so many letters, so when I do attempt to text, the person on the receiving end has to be pretty good at playing Wheel of Fortune… minus the prize money…

At any rate, I lost my phone this morning. I was searching for it as it continued to beep, signaling it’s certain battery death (it only holds a charge for about 15 minutes these days), when my amazing 10 year old son was kind enough to ask, “Mom, did you misplace your phone again?” He sounded polite enough, so I’m going to pretend he wasn’t laughing at me.

Usually, when we reach this point, my kids are pretty good about finding the phone… especially when it’s beeping (which is most of the time). In addition to my smirking pre-teen, the reasoning skills of my almost 7 year old kicked in, and as he began to search he informed me that if the beeping was getting louder, I was getting closer! But today we were just stumped. Couldn’t find it anywhere!

The funny thing was, it sounded like the beeping was coming from the kitchen counter. Now… my kids went to an Easter egg hunt at church on Sunday, and the counter happens to have quite a few gift bags filled with Easter eggs in the particular location where the beeping was originating. In a somewhat embarrassed attempt at locating the phone, I looked through the bags. My phone was not there… not that I really expected to find it in an Easter egg, but stranger things have happened!

After quite a bit of searching, I gave up. At some point I turned off the baby monitor and went and got Miah from her nap… made lunch… checked my mail… and realized that the phone had stopped beeping, so it was undeniably dead, and I would probably never find it!

And then it hit me (well, I mean… not literally, that would have been too easy). I jumped up from where I was and said, “I know where it is! It’s in my bedroom!” And my kids all looked at me now, as if I’d totally lost it, because the kitchen is a long way from the bedroom, and we all had clearly heard it beeping… for a couple of hours… from the kitchen counter…

Where the baby monitor sits…

Well… at least the beeping didn’t bother Miah during her nap!

Lisa

PS This was almost as funny as the day when I nearly called the police because I couldn't find Caleb (he was maybe 3 months old). I looked all over the house that day... in a panic... when Seth and Grace (ages 2 and 3 at the time) finally brought it to my attention that I was holding the baby...

No comments: