Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Unpopular Thoughts…

On the Casey Anthony verdict…

I actually don’t have a whole lot to say. However, my facebook page erupted with posts this afternoon (and they continue). The three major categories of posts seem to be:

  1. Our legal system failed.
  2. Casey Anthony should be killed and then rot in hell.
  3. Caylee Anthony is distraught over the injustice of this verdict.

I would just like to speak to these thoughts, briefly. To be completely honest, I’m not sure anyone will ever know what really happened, and I think this is the precise reason that the jury ruled the way they did. I believe that the media attention was severely harmful to this case, and I believe that the prosecution was far too self centered. Our legal system may have failed. Our legal system may have failed severely.

In regard to Casey Anthony, herself. The words are harsh. If she killed her child (and she may have), I agree that there should have been appropriate punishment. But let’s face it… appropriate punishment for a crime such as this does not exist. Considering the jury did rule her “not guilty”, however, I do not see how anyone has a right to hope for her death. Further, to declare that you want anyone to, “rot in hell”, is severely judgmental, and I would not, in a million years, take that responsibility on myself. We must be very careful with our words.

And in regard to Caylee… There is no sufficient word to describe her suffering here on Earth. But rest assured that this precious little girl has long since been far above any of our earthly reasoning regarding justice. She didn’t look down on the trial, today, and cry because her death was not avenged. For three years now, she has been with Jesus, in paradise, completely whole, well, and unharmed, and loving every minute of it. She’s OK. Justice is really not for the dead, but for the living.

And so on the off chance that anyone clicks through and reads this, I am certain there will be a wide range of emotions. It’s OK if you hate my opinion. That happens to me on a fairly regular basis, anyway.

But tonight… if the case has affected you… try to put those feelings into some sort of positive action. Turn your porch light on to remember Caylee’s life, and take some time to pray for the children who endure suffering at the hands of those who should protect them, even on a daily basis. Take this tragedy and turn it around.

Genesis 50:20

Lisa

No comments: