Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, A Review...



I have been a huge fan of the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series'.  I have to admit that I am not a die-hard lifer, and I have actually never read the LOTR trilogy (although I have read The Hobbit).  This is not within my usual MO, as I am generally first a reader and then a movie watcher (if at all), but it's just the way it goes.

Late last night, I sat down with much anticipation, mixed with a great deal of caution, to watch the "defining moment," as it had been advertised, and I found it, perhaps, less than defining.  I was disappointed that two of the lines/scenes from the trailer that were particularly compelling were apparently cut from the film.  I am left to assume that they will be a part of an extended version release, but why do that?  Shouldn't the trailer showcase the best of what is to come?  I feel like I watched a trailer for a different movie!

Within a few minutes of the opening scene, I found myself saying, "This should have been Rated R".  Not that that makes much of a difference.  Even if that was the case, a lot of parents would have marched their six year olds in to see it, and I suppose that is their prerogative, as parents.  However, I feel that it is worth reporting that I found "Battle of the Five Armies" to be ratcheted up a notch from the other five films in regard to violence.  There were several close up, sustained camera views of the faces of people as they died, and I guess I always find it a little disturbing to watch the light of life snuffed out of someone's eyes.  I wouldn't say that they crossed the line to "gore," but this was, almost in its entirety, a war film.  This is the part of the review where I have to caution you: know your children.  And, if you have any doubt as to whether this intensity is appropriate for them, please go see the movie first, on your own.  The worst case scenario is that you watch it, think I'm crazy, and feel as if you've spent a few dollars too many when you go back with the kids.  But I will tell you this.  My thirteen year old daughter, who is within the age range for which this film was found "appropriate," would not have made it to the title screen.

In regard to language issues, I am left shaking my head.  I cannot fathom why, in over 20 hours of squeaky clean material, they felt the need to throw in one profanity in the middle of this movie.  Of interest is the fact that the reviewer at plugged in has it wrong, as well.  In the plugged in review, it is stated that, "Dáin calls the orcs "b--tards".  Somehow, I thought that maybe, just maybe, there would be something contextual about this statement that would make it make sense.  This is not the case.  Dáin actually uses this profanity to refer to the elves, simply out of spite.

Content issues aside, there is a lot to like about this story (always is).  Specifically, the idea that people who should be fighting for the same things make a real mess of things when they turn on one another and Bard's dedication to protect his children and his people, at any cost.  And, ya know, you have to appreciate Legolas, his story of unrequited love, and his amazing skills in battle.

Over all, I would say that the film adaptation of The Hobbit served as less of a prequel and more of a back story than was originally intended in the literary works.  This particular film didn't offer any stand alone value (which is to be expected), and, realistically, I think it might have been a better move to make only two movies (the first 15 minutes or so of this one felt like it was intended to be the end of "The Desolation of Smaug").  But there's no going back now.  Not for us...  Not for this franchise... and definitely not for Bilbo Baggins...

L.

No comments: