Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thursday, 20 July 2006


  • Currently Watching
    The Visitation
    see related
    OK... So, I have had basically nothing to write about for weeks, and every time I do have something to write about I'm too exhausted (or maybe just plain lazy) to get on here...
    I did just realize that I never wrote my review of "The Visitation", so I'll do that now... if for no other reason than to make a decent post...
    I have now watched the movie twice, because when I first watched it I couldn't remember the book very well (read it in 1998).  Since then, I have re-read the book.  After my second viewing of the movie, here's what I thought...
    It was a pretty good movie if... you didn't read the book...
    The basic plot of the movie was interesting, though not entirely original.  I did like some of the twists, and the film took some interesting turns that the book didn't in order to fit it into two hours.  There was definately some violence, but it was moderate... and only mild if you sat through The Lord of the Ring trilogy... or maybe even Star Wars.  Sexual tension was mild on screen, although definately implied at times.  The only language issue is near the end of the movie... and even that can be left up to interpretation (to say more would be a spoiler).  There is definately an element of spiritual battle, and demons are portrayed in a way that is too intense for young viewers.  But, overall, it's a "safe" bet for adult and teenage audiences.
    However, if you've read the book (and maybe especially if you liked the book) be aware that this is not the same story.  First off, the casting is terrible!  The characters in the book are simply not the characters in the movie.  Just as an example, the irritating, but loveable, young, Charismatic, "Kyle Sherman" is played by a very stoic Randy Travis (uh... not young... need I say more...)  Other charcters who are dramatically different include "Morgan Elliot", "Dee Baylor" - who is portrayed as "Brett Hencle's" wife in the movie, and "Sally Fordyce"... yet another member of the Henchle family...  In addition to the casting issues, many of the main ideas of the plot are quite different.  Should you choose to see the movie, this will be evident from the very first scene.  But perhaps the most disappointing thing for me was that the entire spiritual journey of "Travis Jordan", as described in the book, is lost.  I understand there are time contraints for a movie that a book doesn't have, but they could create another film in its entirety out of that material, and frankly, I wish someone would.
    So... my recommendation?  Read the book.  And if you want to watch the movie, too... go ahead... but don't expect them to be the same.
    Lisa      

No comments: