Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Phil’s Graduation Trip, Day 2…

This has just been an amazing day, start to finish.

You can’t turn back time. There are so many memories in this place, it’s incredible. As we left the hotel, this morning, and began to drive through Boise, I just felt almost overwhelmed at the familiarity. We drove by the child care center where I worked, and it felt as if very little time had passed. I know, from having done some research before our trip, that there is no one left there on the teaching staff from 11 years ago. However, just as we rounded the building, I saw the janitor, whom I recognized by face, but whose name I cannot recall, cross the street. Much of Nampa has changed, particularly due to the huge population growth (there are almost twice as many people here as there were when we lived here), but much is the same, as well. It is just incredible how life moves on…

We went to campus today for a drop in reception at which Phil picked up his cap and gown and also got to meet many of his professors from the program, face to face. I am sure this was especially meaningful to him, although I also enjoyed it. Caleb liked the chocolate chunk cookies and the drinking fountain… Miah gave everybody the grumpy look…

We had lunch at our old favorite Pizza Hut, stopped by the “new” (11 year old) Wal-Mart, and then checked into the hotel which Caleb deemed, “Luxury… pure luxury…”

Undoubtedly, my favorite part of this day was having dinner at Fiesta Guadalajara with my friend, Holly, who I had not seen in almost 12 years, and whom I had completely lost contact with for over a decade of that time! The story of our friendship is actually kind of complex, but I am just astonished at God’s grace, His faithfulness in answering prayer, and His redemption. It really meant the world to me to be able to get together with my friend and to catch up on what has happened in our lives since we last saw one another. I hope to share more of this story at some point in book form, but for now let’s just say it made my whole day, and I am thankful for enduring friendship. Even though I took my camera with me, I cannot believe this, but I forgot to snap a picture of us. I am super bummed out about that.

When I got back to the hotel; Phil, Caleb, Miah, and I took a swim and a dip in the hot tub. At present, we finally have the kids asleep, and I am hoping to join them shortly.

Lisa

No comments: