Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Materialism At It's Worst...

For some time now, I have talked about getting rid of the enormous piles of children's clothes that have accumulated over the past 13 years.  Sometimes I have even sorted through a box or two and actually sold or given away a few items.  In my defense, I did actually do a good job of saving what I thought we would use for future children, and that has saved us some cash over the years.  But more often than not, what I have done is hoarded clothing items that someone else could be using, because every one of them held some sort of aesthetic power over my senses, brining to mind memories of times and places that are long since passed.

There comes a time, though, when enough is enough.  I mean, who has 41 plastic bins of clothes in their basement?  FORTY-ONE...   Well, I did.  But I don't anymore!

I admit that I still saved quite a few things, but you wouldn't believe the piles... upon piles... upon piles we dropped off at The Salvation Army, while waiting for Seth and Grace to finish up quiz practice.  In addition, I took a couple of bins of stuff to Once Upon A Child, and they gave me a check for a few dollars after rejecting most of what I brought (no surprise, but give me a break...  I didn't walk in there with anything that was not brand name and in excellent condition)...

There are some things, though, that I didn't even feel guilty about keeping.  The best example is here:


Who puts their child in something like this?  Oh wait...  I'm the one with my hand straight up in the air again...  This one made the "keep" pile, and one of these days I'll sneak back down to the basement, bury my nose in it, and smell my baby Grace in Iowa...

L.

No comments: