Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Happy 12th Birthday, Grace!



I don't know exactly why, but Grace's birthday, this year, caused me to stop and think about the circumstances surrounding her birth a little more than I ordinarily would.  Maybe it's because we are in the process of moving back to the place where she was born... the place where we resided for just weeks of her life before setting out on a twelve year journey that would change us forever.  There will be more on that soon...

But what I was actually dwelling on was the fact that I was surprised to find that I was pregnant with Grace, at all, just four months after Seth was born.  After giving birth to Seth, I was repeatedly cautioned to use birth control... to not get pregnant again right away... because I was taking Coumadin, a category X medication in regard to pregnancy, a medication that, when taken during pregnancy, should result in central nervous system defects, deformed limbs, and developmental retardation.  And I just never thought to worry about it, because it took 2 1/2 years to get pregnant with Seth, so surely we wouldn't have another baby right away.

But we did.

Grace hummed for the first 24 hours of her life.  I am relatively sure that the medical community was mystified.  I remember getting some funny looks from family members who were, most likely, wondering what on earth was wrong with this baby.  Somehow, I wasn't too worried (which is really saying something, because I can tend to be a worrier).  I remember telling people that she was fine.  Nothing was wrong with her.  She was just going to love music.

Well...  I was right.

So, if you ever stop to wonder why I am amazed by Grace at every turn, maybe this little story will help.  Like I said, I don't think of it often.  I had all but forgotten about how her life began by the time she taught herself to read at age four... and by the time she published a story in a magazine... and by the time she started racking up trophies and scholarships for quizzing... and talent show wins for songs she has composed.  But mostly I have just forgotten, because I see her making friends, loving people, helping wherever she is needed, and loving Jesus - becoming exactly who she was made to be.

I love this girl!




Happy birthday, "Pretty Princess"!  You are the best surprise of my life!

Love,
Mom 

PS  I don't want to forget the really important b-day details... So... Grace chose Little Caesar's Pizza and Italian Cheese Bread, Coke, Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting, and Extreme Moose Tracks Ice Cream, today...  L.

No comments: