Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Girl's Night Out...

... Disney On Ice!

Grace and I really like to get out and have "girl time", but lately we have not been able to do that on a regular basis. When I heard that Disney on Ice was going to be in our area (well... sort of... nothing is really in our area, but it was close enough), I decided to purchase tickets to surprise her.

I got a babysitter for the boys (thanks, Monica), and Grace and I left the house a little after 1pm. We drove and listened to Disney music for an hour and a half and finally arrived. This is the point at which I told Grace what we were doing, and she was excited, but she also said something like, "Is that all we're doing?" which nearly sent me into a tirade... nearly, but not really, because I was determined to have a great girls night with her...

When we got inside, we purchased a program. It came with a lei, which was kind of fun. Then we looked over the souvenirs that were available and finally decided to purchase a Minnie Mouse cup with a snow cone in it. At this point, the MasterCard commercials started running through my head...
Two Tickets to Disney on Ice... (You really don't want to know)
One Program... ($12.00)
One Snowcone... ($10.00)
Seeing your daughter's face when she realizes that Tinkerbell is going to be in the show...
(priceless)... There are some things money can't buy... for everything else...
Well, you know how it goes, but actually I don't have a MasterCard...

At any rate, after a quick trip to the bathroom we finally settled into our seats. Grace had a great view. Mine was kind of obstructed, but I can live with that, because Grace was pretty much jumping up and down at this point saying, "Mommy, these are great seats!"

The show kicked off with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy. I am trying to remember now if Pluto was on the ice or not. The classic Disney characters also appeared between acts.

The first scene was "The Lion King", and within seconds of the characters appearing Grace looked at me and asked, "Is this real?" And I knew that if I was going to preserve the Disney magic at our house for just a little while longer I was going to have to think quickly...

So here was my response (which I am pretty proud of):

"Of course not! You know the real characters live at Disney World! These are just people who want to share the character's stories with us!" If anybody thinks this is a terrible thing to do to a child, whatever... We are going to go on believing in Tinkerbell for as long as I can make it last...

Well... it turned out that I made a good call, because when we got to the Peter Pan scene it was pretty obvious that all of the skaters were hooked up to cables and that was what was making them fly, as opposed to "faith, trust, and pixie dust"!

The other scenes were "The Little Mermaid", which we thoroughly enjoyed even though some younger children screamed at the appearance of Ursula, and "Lilo and Stitch", which we didn't really get into, as we have never seen the movie. I do own it, but I am not in a real hurry to watch it. For some reason it has never appealed...

Here are some pics. of our Disney on Ice adventure, including the Zamboni, because Zambonis are cool:
After the show, we had dinner at Cheddars, which is really my favorite, but Grace enjoys it, too. Grace loved getting to order dessert!

It was a fantastic girls night!

Lisa

No comments: