Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Life Lessons From Aladdin...

I always remember being rather disappointed with, "The Return of Jafar", as far as sequels go. I mean... come on... let's face it... sequels are rarely as good as the first, but, "The Return of Jafar" was just rather pathetic. It has probably been at least 8 or 9 years since I have watched this movie. I know that I have never watched it at a time when any of my children would have been old enough to remember it... until today...

It's still a pathetic movie. There is really no plot development, and of course there are the obvious issues of changing vocal talents and second rate songs. But there was also an underlying theme that I just loved. THREE separate times in the movie a line is used that says something to this effect: "Genies can't kill anyone... but you'd be surprised what you can live through"...

Now backtrack with me here. In, "Aladdin," we meet Jafar... evil advisor to the Sultan. Jafar is power hungry. Through a series of events he goes as far as to make multiple attempts to kill Aladdin in order to secure the lamp, and consequently, the Genie... Although Jafar does not succeed in his attempts on Aladdin's life (remember the line, "How many times do I have to kill you, boy?"), he does eventually gain control of the lamp, making him the master of the Genie... and now the wishing begins...

Number 1: Jafar wishes to rule Agraba, on high. In essence, Jafar wishes to become Sultan, which has been his goal all along. Genie grants his wish, and there stands Jafar... powerful Sultan... but still unhappy, because Jasmine... and her father... and Aladdin... refuse to bow to him. So...

Number 2: Jafar wishes to be the greatest sorcerer in the world. Now he is bestowed with the power to force them to bow. He causes great havoc and destruction, until he is reminded by Aladdin that he is still not the most powerful being in the world, because Genie gave Jafar his power. And so...

Number 3: Jafar wishes to be the most powerful genie in the world. And at this point, we are a little concerned about this nearly unlimited power, until the lamp appears and Jafar is reminded that with such power comes... well... "itty, bitty living space".

Jafar reminds me a lot of people. Please, please read that right. I did not say that Jafar reminds me of specific, individual people. I did not even say that Jafar reminds me of a lot of people. What I said, exactly, is that Jafar reminds me a lot of people. People are often power hungry with no regard to the great responsibility that comes with leadership. They wish... and when they get what they want... they wish for more... and more... and more... until they have everything in the world and are so confined by it that they can do nothing but spew hatred toward others. Jesus compares this to murder. But in the end, people do not ultimately control the power of life and death. Although I would still say that you'd be surprised what you can live through.

A final thought... There was also another very teachable line in the film. I absolutely loved the concept that doing the right thing is hard, because you often have to do it alone...

Lisa

No comments: