Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Vacationing Close To Home, Part 3...

I said I'd never do it again...

After our last "free day" adventure at The Children's Museum in Indy, I said that I would never go back on a free day. It was a zoo. But we'd already planned to visit today for "Bob's Big Day", a Bob the Builder special event, when I checked the website one more time last night and exclaimed, "Oh, No!" when I read that the first 1,300 visitors would gain free admission! I am sure I am probably the only person in the world who is disappointed when I find out I can do something for free, right?

Well, as it turned out, we arrived a little before 9:00am and found that we were able to secure a great parking spot and the first place in line for non-members of the museum (technically, there were two other families ahead of us, but museum staff accidentally let them in with the members... oops...)

I found out later (while I was chatting with the Bob the Builder event coordinator and nursing Miah at the Bob the Builder meet and greet, literally feet from Bob... in a roped off area... because, hey... Miah was eating lunch there before Bob arrived and they told me I didn't have to move...) that there had been over 17,000 people in the building for the MLK Day event! No wonder I was claustrophobic! Today was much better, because we were actually able to enjoy the exhibits without being crushed on every side!

Even on a day without a special exhibit, it is impossible to explore everything at The Children's Museum. There is probably an annual pass in our near future... We did manage to take in a lot of the Bob the Builder stuff. I loved that it was so interactive. The kids made tool boxes, participated in a story, worked together to build with huge Legos, made newspaper planting projects that I need to work on and then get out in the yard, and met Bob, himself! Grace and Ian also won tool sets to put in their new tool boxes! Every family was only allowed one picture with Bob, so Ian is blinking:

What an incredible day!

Of course, we also explored other areas of the museum, where the kids came face to face with a dinosaur and then dressed up like dinosaurs, too... where they explored science through water tables and mirror mazes... where they climbed through tree houses and listened to stories... and where we all just generally had fun together!

After the museum, Phil did some exploring of his own of the train variety, while the rest of us listened to Adventures in Odyssey and enjoyed the ride. We ended up at Cicis for dinner, where we all ate too much (my breadstick count is too embarrassing to post) and then headed home exhausted but with smiles on our faces!

Thus ends our trication (Seth even told an employee at the museum that we were on a trication, and she made a pretty good guess about what that meant)! Check in later in the summer for more wild family adventures!

Lisa

No comments: