Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Monday, February 5, 2007

It Was A "Sporty" Kind Of Weekend At Our House...




  • Saturday, Seth had a basketball game. I am very proud to announce that he scored his first two baskets ever in competition... Speaking of which, he is a competitor. Seth has cried at every game, because his team doesn't score a whole lot of baskets (pretty sure his were the only two this week). Mind you, the league he's in does not even keep track of score... but Seth does. And it's really easy to start to feel a bit embarrassed when your child is the only one (at least seemingly) out there not having "fun". We work on this sportsmanship thing nearly every day, because Seth loves to play ball. In reality, it's fun to him in his own way, and I'd really hate to take it away. But the tears over missed baskets really have to go... Or do they?

    The more I've thought about this, the more I realized it's a whole lot like someone I once knew... ahem... who shed tears at nearly every quiz meet she competed at. And I have to be honest... It wasn't bad sportsmanship. It was passion for the "game". I (oops, did I let that slip...) simply had more refined manners (and a bit more pride) as a teenager than a six year old should be expected to have mastered.

    And then, as I was watching the rare televised Piston's game on Sunday, it occured to me that these grown men were running around the court doing the same thing. And, for the most part, we love them them for it. Their (again, even more refined) "temper tantrums" give them "character" and occassionally sway the referrees...

    And even though I guess I'd rather Seth didn't cry, I kind of understand it, too. But please... don't tell him...

    Well, on to the Super Bowl... I was definately cheering for the Colts and "Poor Peyton Manning" who finally proved himself in the big game. And all I can say about Tony Dungy is the man has class. Besides, I can't cheer for Chicago teams... It's just not right...

    Tonight we tried to continue on with the sports theme, so I drove Grace to gymnastics... half an hour away... only to find that it was cancelled because of the weather. Uh... It's not like they practice outside! This is gymnastics for crying out loud! And Ian did, as soon as we got to Wal-Mart, so we didn't get to shop, either...

    Lisa

    PS Can anyone tell me what a "Key of a Donut" is? I'll give you a hint... You can watch movies in it... hehehe... L.

No comments: