Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend '07

Well... I was going to give you a "blow by blow" of our "mini vacation", but after much thought, I am only going to give the highlights...

We enjoyed almost a full week away from home, visiting friends and family and then going to Kalahari and Cedar Point over Memorial Day weekend. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable time, for the most part.

For all of you pet lovers out there, I have to admit that Bobby the goldfish has become a real part of our family. Once it occurred to us that we couldn't leave him alone for six days or he would starve, he began his first vacation adventure. Once we realized that we could not leave him in the hot car all day at Cedar Point, his adventure ended, adding several more miles to our trip and burning extra gas. We took him home, because we couldn't ethically allow him to boil. He is very happy to be back on his shelf with a full tank of filtered water...

I made a purchase, almost exclusively so that I could blog about it. It was such a rare find... For 5 cents, I bought the New Kids on the Block Christmas cassette at a dollar store... hehehe... It remains unopened, but I do plan to listen to it. I was even more obsessed with NKOTB at age ten than I was with Saved by the Bell! I would have bought more copies, were they available, but this was the only one, so I can't share!

The Pistons are doing their best to lose the conference finals to the one man show... Lebron James. If you've been watching, you don't need details, and if you haven't been watching, you don't want them. I love my Pistons, but give me a break...

CP was great! Grandma and Grandpa came to help out and even enjoyed a few rides. We found out that Grace is definitely a coaster rider, and we acted upon this by riding the Iron Dragon, over and over again! Unfortunately, Grace is short, so we didn't have too many options! I also took what will quite likely be my last spin on Disaster Transport. I have heard rumors that it is on it's way out, but don't quote me on that. At any rate, it was kind of sad (and a little creepy) to walk through the building, just Grace and me, with none of the animation and no other riders in sight. Caleb also took his first coaster ride on Woodstock Express. He loved it, as well as the Jr. Gemini! Seth (being a bit taller) was able to ride the Wild Cat, which he hated. We had a hard time convincing him that he might like the other coasters better, but eventually he did get on Iron Dragon (which he now says is his favorite ride), The Mine Ride, and Disaster Transport. He liked them all. It takes a little more effort to get him to ride, but he'll probably outgrow that. I wouldn't ride anything even mildly "thrilling" as a kid. Now if we can just get Ian to grow a bit more... hehehe... Actually, he liked the Train, the Giant Wheel, the Carousel, and Sir Rub a Dubs Tubs, just fine...

I would offer one word of caution to parents of elementary school aged children. If you are going to let them drive the race cars on their own, you might want to stress that it is very important to let off the gas at the stop sign. Seth missed this part and hit a CP employee (who was fine, by the way).

As far as Kalahari goes, I could definitely recommend it to people who have older kids or teenagers and to people who are rich! Everything is very expensive, and it is less family friendly than Great Wolf Lodge. It is very fun, but the "attractions" are not geared to babies, toddlers, or preschoolers. The "Lazy River" is not lazy, at all. Grace fell off of her tube and landed under a waterfall! Some of the slides also have height restrictions that are a little strict. We had to get sneaky a couple of times in order for Grace and Caleb to ride (and, yes, Grace did a bit of standing on her tiptoes at CP, as well). The treetop dry play area is very nice if you are a child. It is less nice if you are a mommy who is trying to find her kids.

I'll finish with some pics. We really did have a great time...



Ian's First Carousel Ride Hangin' Out With Daddy In Big Trouble

Grace Told Caleb that the Frog was Going to Eat Them...
Me and Seth on The Matterhorn
Me and Grace, right before we got Soaked on Thunder Canyon
Phil and Caleb Riding...

The Snoopy Express & The Race Cars
Lisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awe, you have the greatest family ever! Kim