Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Thursday, December 3, 2009

At This Moment...

... It's almost 7:30pm on a Thursday.

Seth and Grace are tucked in their rooms, both awaiting the opening theme song for Adventures in Odyssey before they fall asleep. Caleb and Ian have enjoyed a bedtime story and are also tucked away, headed to dreamland. Phil is out working to finish up his last week of class before Christmas break.

And here I sit...

I am eating a bowl of Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream and thinking about the 3 discussion boards, 1 assignment, midterm exam, and paper that I really need to complete in the next 4 1/2 hours. But mostly I am pondering about people...

And overall... tonight... I am sort of sick of people...

Now, to be fair, I have never been a real "people person"... certainly never a "people pleaser"... but tonight I just have that weary to the bones kind of tired that comes from dealing with people...

I feel a little bit lost... and I feel a little bit frustrated...

I think this mostly happens to me when: #1 I am overloaded (which I am right now) and #2 I feel the need to hit the "fake it button" in which I go into PR mode for the sake of survival (which I do right now). And let me tell ya... I can do a pretty good snow job and if people knew what I was really thinking... well... people do read this, you know, so I'd better not go on about it...

I will say this, however... If there is one thing that bothers me more than anything else about people it is the tendency to be selfish. I am sick of selfish. Selfish comes in many forms... and although it is easy for a lot of people to claim that they aren't selfish because they don't hoard possessions and they sometimes give gifts, that's not what I'm talking about. Shirking responsibility... breaking commitments... not following through... that's selfish.

And I might add that I am sometimes selfish, too. I am, after all, a person, although there are many others out there who don't treat me as if I am.

Tonight a song came to mind. There is probably only one other person in the world who will understand why it is relevant to this post. It has nothing to do with physical possessions, so please don't anybody panic that someone is threatening to throw our stuff out on the street... again... Those days seem to be long gone (and it's funny how you always want what you don't have)...

Lisa

You Did Not Have A Home lyrics
Rich Mullins
Oh, You did not have a home
There were places You visited frequently
You took off Your shoes and scratched Your feet
'Cause you knew that the whole world belongs to the meek
But You did not have a home
No, You did not have a home

And You did not take a wife
There were pretty maids all in a row
Who lined up to touch the hem of Your robe
But You had no place to take them, so
You did not take a wife
No, You did not take a wife

Birds have nests, foxes have dens
But the hope of the whole world rests
On the shoulders of a homeless man
You had the shoulders of a homeless man
No, You did not have a home

Well you had no stones to throw
You came without an ax to grind
You did not tow the party line
No wonder sight came to the blind
You had no stones to throw
You had no stones to throw

And You rode an ass' foal
They spread their coats and cut down palms
For You and Your donkey to walk upon
But the world won't find what it thinks it wants
On the back of an ass' foal
So I guess You had to get sold

'Cause the world can't stand what it can't own
And it can't own You
'Cause You did not have a home

Birds have nests, foxes have dens
But the hope of the whole world rests
On the shoulders of a homeless man
You had the shoulders of a homeless man
No, You did not have a

Birds have nests, foxes have dens
But the hope of the whole world rests
On the shoulders of a homeless man
You had the shoulders of a homeless man

And the world can't stand what it can't own
And it can't own You
'Cause You did not have a home

No comments: