Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Friday, December 11, 2009

You Cannot Be Serious...

... I thought yesterday was bad?

I'm on a roll this week...

So, tonight was the last Legacy of Love performance. Dress rehearsal almost killed me, but the actual performance went quite well, although not highly attended. I had a wonderful time working with the kids, and they did such a good job, overall...

It is interesting to me, but tonight I realized something... Seth is a really good actor. It's not that I hadn't noticed, before, that he does a good job, but he's not an in your face, spotlight hogging kind of kid... like someone else I know... ahem... oldest daughter of mine... Grace is always in the spotlight... the center of attention... and she is very, very talented, so people are constantly remarking about how amazing she is. But tonight as I was watching Seth play his role, I thought to myself, "Gosh... he's really good at this (and forgive me for this next point)... even better than his sister is!" Don't worry, though, I won't tell Grace (and still, no one holds a candle to her musical ability)...

After the performance, we cleaned up (a lot) and then the plan was that I would run by the house so that Robert and Amber could pick up a few things for Avalyn's birthday party, and then I would grab some fast food for myself and the kids, since it was after 8pm and we hadn't had dinner.

I checked for what I needed in the garage first, and when I couldn't find it, Amber and I went into the house. As I was crossing the living room, Amber said in a kind of shaky voice, "What just went across your house?" And I thought, "Oh brother... another mouse," until she added, "It wasn't on the floor!" At which point I kind of flipped and asked (voice getting louder), "What are you, an idiot? Nothing flew across my house... Tell me that you did not just see something fly across my house!"

That is the moment at which a bat began flying toward us, and this 23 1/2 week pregnant woman took off running... assuming that my 21 1/2 week pregnant friend was behind me, which she wasn't! When I got to the back door, I turned around and started shouting for her to hurry up and get out, but I didn't see her for a moment... until a blanket from my living room came crawling toward me and I realized that Amber was under it!

We emerged on the back deck, slamming the door behind us, and although I felt like crying I figured there was no point, so I started laughing hysterically and ranting about the $1,000.00 bat exclusion we did this summer... And, oh yeah... we screamed for Robert to get inside and capture the bat...

I called Phil at this point, who was still working, and his reaction was about as good as mine. He promised to come home as soon as possible, and Amber and I proceeded to watch Robert pretend he was Batman (through the window, of course, while standing outside in the snow)...

Robert quickly discovered that there were, in fact, two bats, and I screamed to him that they'd better not be having sex, because I didn't need a whole bat family... and then I remembered how many church members live in my backyard and wondered if maybe that wasn't the best thing to be yelling about in the middle of the night...

There are so many great details to this story, but for the sake of time...

Phil got home and he and Robert managed to knock the bats unconscious with cardboard boxes and paper towel holders (gosh, I wish I had a video)... Then we used duct tape to keep them from escaping when they wake up (although I am pretty sure that one of them was dead). Phil checked the rest of the house and assures me that there are no more bats... and he'd better be right, because as I type this my children are sleeping and Phil is not home yet (still working), and if I have to evacuate with four children in their pajamas, it is not going to be pretty!

The bat guy is coming next week. And if he has to come back 1,000 times, he's gonna get this right, let me tell ya!

There's never a dull moment... That's for sure...

Lisa

2 comments:

. said...

We have church members living in our back yard? Don't we have a ministry for people like that or something???

sarah said...

oh my gosh....i can just see you, Lisa!!! too funny!!!

btw....a tennis racket (raquet?...not sure about the spelling) is the best way to go after bats....their radar doesn't pick it up as easily as if you go after it w/ a solid object like a broom or baseball bat.....i'll have to see if i still have mine somewhere around here!