Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Sunday, August 1, 2010

That Wasn't Fun...

Sometimes it doesn't really matter how good your intentions are... things go wrong...

Our kids have been asking (maybe more like begging) to go back to the bowling alley since the last church trip there. Today we finally had the opportunity to take them. It is a real plus that our bowling alley is smoke free on Sunday afternoons/evenings, and it just happened to work out that we didn't have anything scheduled, so we packed everybody up around 5:00 and planned to go bowl a couple of games (using a gift card that we got over 2 years ago)!

I am always a little embarrassed that I don't know what size shoes my kids wear (off the top of my head), but once everyone's toes weren't being squished anymore... and the kids had the lightest balls available... and we had two lanes set up (one with bumpers and one without)... we were ready to roll (uh... literally for Ian)...

I hadn't bowled in 7 years...

That said, I probably should have bowled on the lane with bumpers! I scored an amazing 64 in the first game and 60 in the second... Grace even beat me! But that's not why it wasn't fun. I probably looked like an absolute moron... high fiving after every gutter ball... but I'm good with that. In fact, I personally enjoyed bowling so much, yesterday, that I want to go back... but I'm leaving the kids at home!

Somehow, the instruction, "Sit down between your turns!" fell on deaf ears. Seth never wants to bowl again, because he didn't get any strikes or spares... Caleb never wants to bowl again, because he took last place... Grace wants to bowl again, but it's probably just because she won... and we had to take turns chasing Ian around the bowling alley while bouncing a cranky Miah, except when it was Ian's turn and we had to encourage him to just sit down and roll the ball, or it was never going to make it to the pins... again... In the end, Ian was so frustrated that he literally laid face down in front of his lane and just started screaming! Seriously?

It also didn't help that on this "family friendly" evening we got an education in popular music. I can't even remember how the rest of the song went, but there was one particular song that used d... at least a dozen times. I only have two hands, and with 10 ears to cover this wasn't workin' for me. This was immediately followed by Usher's OMG, at which point I went to the counter and asked if it was possible to change the station (by the way, we were the ONLY people bowling, so I didn't figure it would be a problem). The girl at the counter told me that it was possible and then just kind of looked at me like she was wondering why I wanted to know. I then explained that there was some really inappropriate content for children (heck, there was inappropriate content for me, but I didn't say that) at which point she looked at me as if I'd just sprouted a third eye, but she did eventually turn the music down so we couldn't hear it where we were.

I don't think we're going to do that again... Wii bowling it is...

Lisa

No comments: