Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Parting of the Blue and White Sea...

I'd be lying if I didn't start by saying that when I walked into the gym, this morning, and saw that the two kids who have guarded Caleb most closely this season were already playing in the game before his, I didn't let out an almost silent, "yes!"

Not that I had huge, high hopes that he would score today, but the kid has been taking advantage of this beautiful weather and shooting hoops in the driveway when he has a chance. So there was at least a little part of me that hoped the hard work and pointers from Dad might pay off... just once...

For the first four periods, I stood, perched on a folding chair, in a corner of the very crowded, almost electric (again) gym, and took pictures... Caleb's team played well. They played as a team. They continued in their quest to get him a shot, just like last week, creating play after play that at least put him in position to try. I heard later, that at halftime, one of his teammates had vocally made it her plan to pass the ball to Caleb every time. And I continued to appreciate these kids... and these coaches... and these parents who somehow understand that basketball is secondary to loving people. But at some point I realized that Caleb was just exhausted. He was literally skipping around the court at moments. And the kid who was guarding him... I don't know where he came from, but his defense was good.

A foul was called that sent Caleb to the free throw line. I didn't have a whole lot of faith that he'd sink any of those... and he didn't... but I just kept thinking, "They sure are giving him every opportunity!"

And then the fifth period started, and I knew this was really the last chance for a basket this season, because there is no way they could play him all game. There does come a point at which we need to be fair to the other players, too. And I have no idea why it took me so long, but I finally started to pray, "God... could You please just let him hit one?"

And then something happened that I never expected in a million years. Having observed these people for weeks... knowing these people as I do now... I probably should have expected it. But I didn't. Caleb had the ball and was dribbling it toward the basket, and every kid on the court moved to the side. Every kid. And there he stood... with the ball in his hands... and he shot... and it was nothin' but net...


So at this point, of course, I'm screaming... and trying to ensure I don't fall off the folding chair... and watching Caleb's happy face so intently that I actually forget to take a picture. And Caleb is so happy. So of course now, I'm crying... and still trying not to fall off the chair... And let's be honest, even if he develops into a fantastic basketball player and scores the winning goal in the last seconds of the NBA finals; it won't mean more to me than Caleb's basket today...


I cannot begin to tell you how
many people congratulated Caleb for his shot after the game. He finally looked at me and said, "Everybody is saying nice job! Like... everybody!" And that was all really, super great. But the team meeting was the best. Each of the kids got stars based on what they did well all season long. There were stars for offense... and defense... and effort... and sportsmanship. And then Caleb got his star... the star for Christ-likeness... and his coach said, "You persevered all season long, and that's part of Christ-likeness!" And it is... Don't we know it. And I couldn't be more proud if I tried. And I cried again... because apparently that's one of the things I do best...

The rest of the team also received stars for Christ-likeness, and they were very well deserved. And I should take this moment to offer a word of thanks to Caleb's coach who mercifully used the phrase, "stack play," because it gave me something to spit at my older children (who shall remain nameless and are grounded for life) when they had the audacity to ask if Caleb had actually made a basket or if they just let him shoot it... ("Weren't you watching? Didn't you see that stack play?")

It's been a good season.

At the current moment, we are back home. It appears that we have transitioned from the court to the house rather seamlessly. March 17th is an interesting day, of sorts, in our history, and I have to say that this March 17th has been a whole lot nicer than the one we experienced 8 years ago. But to be completely honest, we could use just one more "stack play" today if it's out there...

Lisa

Romans 12:1-2 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will" (NIV, 1984).

No comments: