Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Sunday, March 11, 2012

You Can't Make This Stuff Up...

It's been a challenging week...

With no hope of things slowing down.

Last weekend, we had a great time with Brad, Sheri, Abby, and Noah. We dragged them around to all of our various activities, and they were wonderful guests. I posed them in ridiculously tight spots and funny body contortions, and we came out with some great portraits. The weekend was great... until dinner time...

At which point, Seth choked on some shells and cheese... and I mean really choked. But he wasn't having trouble breathing or anything, so although we were concerned, we decided to just kind of observe him for awhile.

Well... by midnight, he still hadn't been able to get anything down... not food... not water... not even spit.

I took him to the ER.

To make a long story, and a long night, short... After a CAT scan, 8 hours in the ER, about half an hour of sleep that nearly resulted in me falling off the chair in the ER, listening to a police officer scream at an inmate who was there for some medical reason, watching some seriously sick and injured people come through, hearing the medivac helicopter, seeing Seth endure an IV and watching him spit and puke all night... Seth had to have a scope put down his throat to have the macaroni and cheese removed.

If the medical staff thought I was nuts at first, they were very nice to me afterward, and even showed me the evidence that I was, indeed, correct in my original assessment that my 11 year old had pasta stuck in his esophagus.

It wasn't a very good night.

This was followed by a sleepy day (that did include a nap, but not a long enough one), and then we plunged in to the "regular" activities of the week...

I am currently taking two classes this term (which lasts 6 weeks). After that, there is just one more to go and I will have my B.S.M. in Business Management. If I survive that long. Because if Senioritis is bad in High School, let's just say it's at least 8 trillion times worse 15 years later.

In addition to our regular weekend activities, this week, Grace also had her Junior Festival performances. Thank goodness that was scheduled for the same town in which the kids participate in basketball and cheerleading. Otherwise, I don't know how we would have pulled it off. Grace played very well and received Superior or Super Superior ratings in each of the categories that required her to play pieces on the piano. Theory was another story altogether. I just had to watch her... sort of helplessly... through the window to the room, as she actually held her head in the hands over the stress. The ironic thing about this is that I think she actually understands the theory. She just gets really tense when it comes to "testing" over it or putting it on paper. The ironic thing about this whole festival is that I watched parents run around in an almost panicked frenzy, some even commenting on how they just couldn't listen while their children played because they were so nervous. I thought back to my own solo and ensemble days and my festival performances and realized that I had been extraordinarily nervous during each of them, myself. But I just didn't feel that way on Saturday. I think I have learned a few things about Grace and her piano performances. #1 She is very good, and she's "got this". #2 If she makes some mistakes... at age 10... it's probably not going to set her whole life on a path of failure or anything. #3 I can check the scores, privately, after she goes to bed.

Later in the day when we arrived home, I watched a movie with the kids, Phil set our clocks ahead, and we proceeded to try to go to bed at a decent hour. Unfortunately, Grace came to us around 10:00 or so, if I remember correctly, and had thrown up all over her bedroom floor (in my defense, I think this must have been right when the tooth fairy came to the window, thus resulting in her lack of ability to leave money). Grace is typically our "healthy" child, but she has been sick 3 times this winter. Considering the rest of us have basically been sick all winter, I guess that still makes her the healthy one, but she is like her mom and doesn't "do sick" well. I cancelled my plans to go to The Naz. this morning.

As it turns out, Grace has felt pretty good all day today. So, I am chalking the vomit up to our eating habits yesterday (which we declared National Donut Day... or something like that...) and hoping that she really wasn't contagious... particularly because she and Seth have to go take the ISTEP tomorrow, and if either of them is sick, I think they'll get kicked out of the school or something...

And here I sit... and it's past 11:00pm... and I still have a whole counter full of dirty dishes... and I have to leave the house before the sun comes up...

But I think I might get a break on Thursday...

Lisa

No comments: