Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, March 10, 2012

And the Epic Story Continues...

The story of Caleb... and his basket... or the lack thereof... has grown over these past few weeks.

Today I was reminded, for at least the 178th time this season, of why we choose Upward sports (and specifically the Upward league we are a part of).

Caleb still hasn't scored in a game, and we are nearing the end of the season. By halftime, his coaches were running every play in such a way that Caleb might actually get the ball to make a shot. By the 5th period, one of his teammates (who is very good) was screaming for him every time down the court and passing him the ball, even when she had a good opportunity to shoot or could have passed it to another teammate who would have been more likely to put another 'two" up on the board. By the 6th period, another one of his teammates (who is also very good) was sitting on the bench, even though it was really Caleb's turn to sit, just so that Caleb could have more chances to score.

And the gym was electric (at least it seemed that way to me), with coaches... and parents... and leaders... and kids... shouting Caleb's name. He had one shot that I think we all really thought he was going to sink, but it just didn't quite make it. I wish I had switched my camera to video mode in that moment, because some of the reactions were just fantastic.

I think that was the moment, though, when it dawned on me (and on Phil, who actually said the words) that it doesn't really matter if Caleb makes a shot this season... or ever. Not that we don't want him to. Believe me, if he puts that ball in the hole next week, there's going to be a loud celebration in our corner. To be honest, after today I wondered if I should supply the whole gym with noisemakers. We want him to score. But Caleb has already gained something so much better than a couple of points in a game. He is part of a team. And he has a whole gym full of people who love him. I'll take that... every time.

So to all of the kids and coaches of the Junior 76ers... You undoubtedly get the "Christlikeness Star" from Caleb's Mom...

Lisa

P.S. If you coach one of my kids, I am so sorry that you have to wonder what I'll write about you all season long... but I guess I'm not that sorry... because I do keep writing... L.

No comments: