Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I Left The House At 9:00 This Morning...



...to have coffee... and to debrief life a little bit with my friend, Erin.

This caused all kinds of comic relief, because Ian was immediately distressed, since "Erin" is a "boy name".  Why was Mommy going to have coffee with some guy who wasn't Daddy?  Oh, for crying out loud!  After explaining that Erin is, indeed, a girl, Ian let me go...

I was planning to slowly sip my mocha (the biggest one on the menu, because I seriously needed it by the time I actually made it to the coffee shop), chat for a little bit, and then run one errand.  Just one.  I fully expected to be home by 11:00 at the latest.

When I reached the parking lot at 10:15, I thought I'd check my texts quickly.  I was met with a text from 1/2 an hour earlier informing me that Phil had been rear ended in a neighboring town, and his head hurt.  I tried to text.  I tried to call.  No response.  I finally gave up and started driving toward the neighboring town figuring that I could probably find either him or the van, hopefully both.   

Before I got very far, I got another text that he was at the doctor's office (that's where he was headed anyway), and could I meet him there?  I figured things were probably not as bad as I'd imagined them, since he wasn't at the ER and could still text.

I found the van in the parking lot.  It had obviously been in a collision, but it was drivable.  I proceeded to wait in the waiting room at the doctor's office for what seemed like forever, because I guess it doesn't matter if your spouse has been in a car accident, you just have to wait there.  Whatever.  There is no Internet connection, so I played "Popcat" on my phone.  A lot of "Popcat".  Don't judge me.  I didn't come prepared for this.  I didn't even have a book!  I now have so many magic fish it's ridiculous.

Phil finally emerged with a diagnosis of whiplash.  OK.  We can live with that.  But, you know, I thought we probably needed lunch at this point.  All of the texts from the kids indicated that everyone was still alive, no one was lost, and my teenagers are responsible enough to homeschool themselves and their younger siblings.  We dropped one of the vans off at a carpool spot and I drove us to The Cheesecake Factory, because you might as well make a date of it when car accidents and doctor appointments have already ruined any potential for a productive day anyway.  And cheesecake fixes everything.  Well, OK, not everything, but it's close.  This is the point where I must admit that I actually wasn't very hungry after the morning's events, so I took my cheesecake to go.  It's still in the fridge.  I might eat it if everyone goes to bed at a decent hour.  By myself.  Is eating cheesecake one of those things you're not supposed to do alone?  Just wondering.

Well, by this time it had occurred to me that Phil was really in no shape to run errands by himself, so I ran his with him and thought I'd get mine in, as well.  Remember?  That one errand I had to run.  Let's be real.  I was looking for the limited edition Star Wars make-up, because I'm still trying to be the coolest mom in the galaxy... and I wanted some for myself.  Full disclosure here, people.  It took three stores, but I finally found it.  Grace can look like she belongs to "the light side" and, frankly, you should have already guessed that I bought the other stuff for me.  I felt somehow proud when the cashier asked if there was glitter in it.  It's like she knew that's what I stand for.  Well, at least there's that...

We stopped by Phil's parents' house and told them the story of this day, because they really didn't need to read it here in rather unorthodox blog form.  And then we stopped to get the kids pizza, because there's just no way I was cooking after a day like today.

I got home at 6:45.  I never expected a coffee date to turn into 9 hours and 45 minutes away from home.  I pretty much ordered Phil to go to bed.  I was going to say that I'm not usually that bossy, but I guess I am, because everyone I know seems to be telling me that I have control issues lately.  He had better be sleeping.  It's only 8:00, and Miah is sawing logs as I write.  I'm pretty sure I have big kids waiting to watch TV with me.  It's well deserved.  And then maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to get something accomplished for the two classes I'm taking.

I am so thankful, today, for God's protection.  I am so thankful for responsible kids, and a huge green van that doesn't work all the time but worked when I needed it to.  I am so thankful for Grace who cleaned Miah's room and even sprayed it, because Miah said, "it 'stinked'".  I am so thankful for Little Caesar's... that's why we're keeping them in business.  I am so thankful for friends who pray.  And I am even so thankful for Star Wars make-up, because Grace has reaffirmed that I really am the coolest mom ever.

It's been one of those days...  and as I am so fond of saying... aren't they all?

L.

No comments: