Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Black Friday...


  • Yesterday was quite an adventure! For the first time, I took my kids out shopping on black Friday. Overall, they did very well, but I did have some help! The only real shopping disasters were:
    1. The sales were stupid. I, of course, knew this before I got up at 2:55 a.m. I did wait in line at Kohl's, for about an hour and fifteen minutes, for a slight discount on Swiper the Fox for my niece. At age four, she doesn't read this, but the rest of our family does, so... shhh...
    2. Small children do not do well at "Deals". Come on... you know you want to touch everything there, too...

    The real problem, for me, was the fact that it is very difficult to eat out when you are supposed to be watching your carb intake. I thought that bacon, sausage, and eggs would be a safe bet for breakfast (notice, NO carbs). It wasn't. An hour later, my blood sugar level had skyrocketed to 208! So, I called the emergency line, just to see what I ought to do. The answering service lady put me through to someone else, on whose voice mail I left a message. No one ever called me back... I think their emergency line needs some improvement. At any rate, after lunch my level had plumeted to 67, and it was 61 after dinner. It's not supposed to get below 70, but what was I suppposed to do? No one seemed too interested in taking my call. I did consume something with sugar in it, after dinner, because I figured I probably needed to. Thankfully, my numbers seem normal again this morning, but if anyone from the doctor's office calls to yell at me, they are going to get an earfull of their own.

    I did get MUCH of our Christmas shopping finished, so I'm happy about that.

    Probably the funniest part of the day happened after we got home. Phil was getting his last few things from the car, and I went out briefly to grab a couple more shopping bags. When Phil reached the front door, it was locked... by none other that the wonderful and very two-year-old Caleb. Grace was sleeping, and Seth was in the bathroom. We kept telling Caleb to unlock the door, and he kept knocking on it, instead. We would say, "Caleb, unlock the door," and Caleb would say, "I knocking on it!" After a few rounds of this, I sat down on the step and just laughed! Phil kept pounding, so eventually I shouted, "Wilma!" I really hope the neighbors weren't paying any attention to all of this! Seth eventually emerged from the bathroom and let us in. It's a good thing he wasn't asleep, too...

    And so now, it's Saturday. And on this lovely Saturday morning, I really need to go do some schoolwork. Except... I really don't want to. So... I will likely continue to procrastinate for at least a little while.

    Is it December yet?

    Lisa

    Comments (1)

No comments: