Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, November 4, 2006

Grape Memories...

  • Seems like everything in life is a real adventure lately...

    Yesterday I decided to take Seth and Grace to the Y when I went for my walk The idea was that they would play in the YAC while I walked, and when I was finished I would pick them up and take them swimming. Sounded like a fun plan...

    However, when we got to the Y, the YAC was closed... even though it is supposed to be open! The temptation here was to say, "OK... forget the walk... one day won't hurt," and to head straight to the pool. I thought it over for a few seconds and realized that even though it would have been easier that way, it really wasn't the right thing to do. So...

    I dragged the kids up a couple more flights of stairs to the running track...

    Initially, I wasn't sure if I should have them walk with me or just sit and watch. I figured they would never make it the whole 24 laps (1 mile), but they started walking with me anyway. And it was great! In the end, they did complete the entire walk, without complaint, and they probably could have done it faster than I did... Super kids!

    As we were walking, I was reminded of a simpler time and place. When Seth was not quite two years old, we moved to Iowa. After cleaning... and unpacking boxes... and getting the house somewhat set up, I needed a break. So, we loaded Grace (9 months old at the time) into our stroller and walked to the park. The only problem was, I only knew the location of one park in our new town. And, of course, it was a really long way from our house. I wish I could remember exactly how far, but I'm sure it was at least 300 miles! Seth and I walked... and walked... and walked... and walked...

    Amazingly enough, he still had energy to play when we got there! We had so much fun that day. Here's a pic. of Seth at the park (though I think this was taken several months later):



    After we enjoyed our play time, we decided to walk back to the church (only about 150 miles away), as I didn't think Seth could make it all the way home. When we finally did get home, it was around 3:00. Seth laid down for a nap and didn't wake up until the morning! That was the one and only time this ever happened, as I am the mother of three sleepless wonders!

    The experience, itself, is a good memeory to recall. But there's something else I learned from all of this. There are some things you simply don't know until after the fact...

    That day, while we were walking to the park, we were spotted by an "unchurched", single father of two of our teens. He talked with his girls that night about what a good mom I must be, and got a good laugh out of the fact that Seth had walked the whole way when he learned that part of the story later. I became very close to those girls over the next 14 months. Hopefully, I was able to be a good example for them.

    That day, while we were walking back to the church, we were spotted by a mother of two of our teens. She noticed that we were struggling a bit (we had to take some breaks at various places along the way) and asked later if she should have offered to help. Later I learned that it was probably better that she didn't, since her less than acceptable relationship with her own children was a huge part of our untimely demise there.

    And, that day, while we were playing at the park... having the time of our lives... A wonderful man in a rental car just happened to drive by. No doubt, he wondered how we ever got there, and he was terribly tempted to stop and play, too. He didn't, because he wasn't sure members of the church wouldn't see him and wonder what in the world he was doing at the park, as opposed to in the office. A lot changes in 4 1/2 years. I'm thinking Phil would stop now...

    So back to last night...

    Upon completeing our mile, I let the kids take several runs on the balloon game, while I caught my breath. It was cute to watch how Seth refused to "race" against anyone but Gracie. Then we went for our swim. And did I ever get soaked! I think I chased the kids around enough to pay them back, though!

    Lisa

    Comments (1)

No comments: