Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Introducing...

  • Ian Justice!!!


    We welcomed Ian to the world on December 26th, at 11:37 a.m. He weighed in at 9 lbs. 5 oz. and was 22 inches long! So, he's a big guy! Unlike our other little ones, he was born with a whole bunch of dark hair! I will probably cry if any of it falls out... If you are interested in more details... read on...

    As many of you know, I have complained... incessantly... about never having an "it's time" moment (all four of our children have been induced). So... a few minutes before 4:00 on the 26th, Phil quietly woke me up by saying, "it's time"... cute...

    We got ready and left for the hospital around 5:15. The idea was to stop at Wal-Mart on the way, because we had run out of video tapes the day before... uh... oops! Unfortunately, we didn't consider the fact that even Wal-Mart doesn't open until 6:00 on the day after Christmas! So... We headed to the hospital videotapeless...

    It was a very cold, slushy kind of morning! When we got there, we found out that we could park halfway across the world, and we got very wet getting inside... We proceeded to follow a red line on the floor that directed us to the appropriate elevator. I kind of felt like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz...

    Eventually, we ended up in the right plce, and I got all... uh... setlled in, while Phil left to get the video tapes. Of course, I had to explain this to everyone at the hospital, since it is a little unusual for a Daddy to be to simply drop his wife off, these days!

    Answered a hundred million questions, got hooked up to monitors and an IV, and Phil returned before we started the pitocin at 6:55...

    I am thinking they found us a little strange, because for the next hour or so, I read a new book I got for Christmas, and Phil did some work on his laptop... We felt amazingly relaxed about the arrival of this baby...

    At some point, my doctor came in and broke my water... and inserted a pressure device to measure the strength of my contractions... This was done, before I knew what he was doing, and caused a brief moment of panic, because it reminded me of my labor with Caleb... I wasn't allowed to get up again while having him, and I didn't appreciate that at all! Thankfully, that was not the case this time around, and I was easily able to "regroup" once I realized I was not to be held hostage in my bed for the next century...

    So... I moved to a chair... and then proceeded to go through most of my labor standing up. Gravity is a very good thing... I had some back labor, which is really the worst part, but Phil was awesome... massaging my back on demand and even "shutting up" without being told... hehehe... We also had a good nurse, who kept bringing hot blankets to put on my back. That was a plus...

    For those of you who remember the story of Caleb's birth, you know that I was stalled at 4 cm for what seemed like a lifetime! I am quite hapy to report that I was 3 cm when first checked, and they didn't check me again until I was between 5 and 6! I felt like throwing a party... I honestly never wanted to hear the word "four" while in labor... ever again...

    At around 11:15, I informed the baby that if he wanted to beat Seth's time, he only had a few more minutes to do it in... In the end, he missed it by 12 minutes, but that's OK, because he broke all the other records...

    After a few more difficult contractions, our nurse told me I needed to get back in bed. Although I knew she was right, I also felt a little irritated... A couple more very difficult contractions, and I asked for some pain medication. I should have learned my lesson from my labor with Grace. If it's to the point where I want drugs, it's useless to actually take them. The baby will arrive before they ever kick in...

    So... I let them know I was going to start pushing, but... of course... no one ever believes that...

    I really wish, at this point, that we'd had the video camera running...

    The look on our nurse's face told me pretty much everything I needed to know... Well, that, and the fact that I could feel the baby's head coming. Another nurse quickly found some gloves for her, though they weren't the right size, and before we knew it, Ian had made his entrance into the world... without my doctor...

    My doctor did arrive within moments, and I'm thinking he wasn't all that happy to find me already holding the baby... This is proof that when someone has already delivered three children, you should take them seriously when they inform you that they are going to push...

    For having such a difficult pregnancy, Ian's birth was amazingly easy, and I am very thankful! For those of you who have prayed for us, THANK YOU!!! We appreciate you more that I could possibly express.

    Here are a couple more pics. of Ian and our family:



    Time to enter the next "phase" of life...

    Lisa

    Comments (5)

No comments: