Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Funny...

...but I feel like I'm learning an awful lot from Buzz Lightyear these days. I think my latest profound thought was from the first Toy Story movie, but this one comes from the second. Let me give you a little bit of background information…

In Toy Story 2, there is a scene where several of the toys are walking through Al's Toy Barn (a toy store), and Buzz stops and stands in awe at the Buzz Lightyear aisle. He notices that the new Buzz Lightyear toys have an upgraded utility belt, so he climbs up to the display model to get a better look. The display model comes "alive" and, of course, he believes that he is the "real" Buzz Lightyear, just as Buzz did in the previous Toy Story movie. The model attacks the Buzz Lightyear that we all know and love and tries to shoot him with his laser light bulb, while making claims about himself that are completely ridiculous, since he is, after all, a toy. Buzz rolls his eyes and mutters, "Tell me I wasn't this delusional". And then we all laugh, because we know that he was…

I was startled by a comparison between this scene in an animated flick and the "Christian" lifestyle. Mostly, this thought came to me because I used to be that delusional. And, let's face it, I probably still am sometimes.

Just so you know, I have been trying to write this post for over a month, and I keep getting hung up on some things, but I think this is the night it is actually going to hit the blog. Please be patient…

So, I have this fear. I'm afraid that we (ok… generic term, "we", I'm not actually sure who I'm talking about) keep equipping people with new utility belts. People are seeking a personal relationship with the God of the Universe, and we smile, pat them on the back, hand them the belt, and convince them that it's the real deal… standard issue… you're in, wear it proudly. And, suddenly, they're space rangers!

But I think there's something wrong with the belt.

In Ephesians 6, we read about the armor of God, and He issues us a belt, too. It's called the belt of truth. For most of my life I have been a brutally honest person. In fact, people have, on occasion, asked me not to be so honest. I have shared before that I make both friends and enemies very easily. It often has something to do with my honesty. But I am not claiming to have a corner on truth tonight. It is God who holds all truth. And I think that most people would rather just live with a lie sometimes. This, however, could be another post, in itself.

God equips us with more than just a belt. Here's the text from the NIV:

Eph 6:10-18 "Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled round your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

And, I know it blows my parallel, but it is simplified in The Message:

"Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out."

I'm afraid our new "standard issue belt" is more ornamental than anything else. I'm afraid it's like my "Y" card. It gets me into the building. It proves that I'm part of the club. But it doesn't make me a body builder anymore than the belt makes you a space ranger. My card is useful, and the "Y" offers me a lot of resources that I otherwise wouldn't have. But I really shouldn't let my membership "name" me. Only God can define my worth.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there's more to an authentic relationship with Christ than just looking the part. There's more to an authentic relationship with Christ than just having the goods. And, may God help us if we are attempting to fight Spiritual battles with blinking light bulbs…

This is unfinished. My own level of discipline in the matters of Spiritual Formation is far too anemic for me to continue this post without hypocrisy. But God is good… He is working… And there will be more to come in the near future. You can count on it.

In the meantime, any thoughts?

Lisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. I think I hear a bell ringing in the distance. Could it be the sound of truth following the breeze of the Spirit across the desert land?

Maybe so. Thank you for the insight.

Spirit Driven Life, xanga.com