Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, January 5, 2013

One...


… of the strangest quiz days ever – but just one of them…

I never imagined that life would be quite like this when my kids finally hit the magic quiz age.  Maybe I live in a dream world, but what I’d hoped for at one time (directing their district) has been replaced by reality (sitting in the hallway, waiting to hear scores, shushing babies)…  Now don’t get me wrong.  I love these little people:

 Ian... 
who was terrible all day long and then capped it off 
by insisting that he quote a memory verse to Debby, 
one of the district directors, 
so I kind of had to excuse his behavior after that:

 Miah...
who frequently asks if we are "going quizzing"...
I think she secretly likes being allowed to watch cartoons all day long:

And Caleb...
who spent most of the day with his new friend, 
also named Caleb.
This one is going to learn to keep score pretty soon:

But it must have been painfully obvious, today, that I was miserable, because one of our district quiz directors actually stopped and asked me how awful it was.  I am going to secure a babysitter for the duration of the quiz year, because I just cannot do this anymore.  If I’m going to be there, I have to be doing something… something quiz related.  As I pressed play for yet another Dora episode for the stroller ridden baby, it occurred to me that I would be happier running water bottles to the officials… but quizmastering would be better.

At any rate…  That’s me and my day.  Now about the quiz…

Grace had a really rough morning.  She studied – hard – throughout her Christmas break and reviewed what she already knew, but what it amounts to is she kept getting jumps like, “When did Jesus…” and, “Who did Jesus…” and, “What did the disciples…”  By round three she was in total breakdown mode, and I could hardly blame her.  Hmmm…  This brings back memories:


Seth had a really incredible morning, and I have to admit that sometimes I just don’t “get” that kid!  I am crazy proud of his 5th place finish (the highest on the year), but I’m telling you he didn’t know much of anything as of last Wednesday night, and his multiple quiz outs and other various questions came on good jumps!  Here he is, smiling to beat the band, in the top 10 (where Grace is absent for the first time this year):


If Seth carried Grace on his back through the morning rounds (and he did), then she returned the favor during the tournament rounds in the afternoon.  Our district uses a point system to determine the first place team for the month, and so… with a narrow margin of 10 points…  We brought home the traveling trophy:


Not bad Seth and Grace (and Coach)… not bad at all…

L.

No comments: