Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Panem et Circenses…


This post.  It’s been coming for a long time.  I’m not sure I can get it all out, eloquently, but it is what it is.

For weeks, I had Caedmon’s Call’s song, “High Countries” rolling around in my head.  So much so, in fact, that I picked up C.S. Lewis’, “The Great Divorce” and re-read it some dozen years after it first crossed my path.  And the theme that just kept playing, over and over again, was a question.  “What are you holding onto?”  And maybe more accurately, “What hell are you clinging to at the expense of heaven?”  Ouch.

It’s not so easy for me to get “comfortable” with my surroundings, and I think that what I’ve learned about myself over the past couple of years is that if I do get comfortable, I dig my heels in.  And I’m not going to go around lamenting everything that’s happened in that time frame or living with regrets.  The truth is, I should have dug my heels in when I did.  But maybe I’ve let them drag for a little too long at this point.  I’m human.

A stark reality hit me the other day, and I almost hate to admit it, but here goes nothing.  I’m comfortable here, but I don’t love this place.  This is how I know…

Let’s take a little trip back in time – oh, say, 2002-2003 or so.  I loved where I was then.  I was committed to ministry.  I was committed to my community.  I was committed to ministry in my community!  Oh to re-capture the early twenty-something, girl on fire, taking the world by storm mentality!  But this is the more important thing - I would take walks on a regular basis and pray for the people who lived in the houses I was passing, even though I didn’t know them… even if I never saw a result.  I don’t think I have ever done that here, and I’ve lived here more than three times as long.

I’ve had a tendency to wax philosophical in mid-late July these past few years.  I think that maybe, just maybe, it’s the never-ending circus music or the smell of funnel cakes that causes this.  They repulse me.  And I know… I know… I just lost half of my Facebook friend list, but stay with me.  I was not made for Circus City, U.S.A.  I know that now.

Miah and I took a walk downtown the other morning.  We walked through the blocked off streets, quiet with fair rides and deep fried food that wouldn’t be available for hours.  For a variety of reasons, we took this walk when no one was there... when it was empty:



And I asked myself questions.  “Why don’t you love this place, Lisa?”  It’s been “home” for almost six years.  “Would you feel differently about this place if you grew up here?”  Maybe.  “Wait – why would you want your kids to grow up here, then?”

Life has always been more than bread and circuses for me.  I’m not satisfied with inconsequential means of appeasement.  I’ve been told that I’m never satisfied, and it’s probably true.  You cannot distract me by meeting my immediate, superficial requirements.  I don’t pacify.  And if you think, for one moment, that this is an easy life to live; think again.  The easy life is the one consumed with the ride.  And the truth is - you can’t reach those people.  They’re not ready.  They might never be ready.  Please don’t misunderstand.  Rides can be fun… for awhile.  But over the course of a lifetime?  I’d rather take a journey. 

Now, if you want to hear an honest to the core confession, I don’t want to walk away from the memories here.  I start to tear up if I think about it for very long.  But I think I need to let go now.  I don’t want this place to define me.  I don’t want to embody this theme.  I don’t want to “fall to pieces” over something shallow when I could have something solid.  And it’s harder than I think.
Next week I’m going to have the opportunity to spend an extended amount of time in a place where my life was shaped, formed, and changed forever.  I need that.  I’m really not looking for a “do over”, but a fresh start would be nice.

It’s been a good ride:
L.
 
May All Your Days... Be More Than This:

No comments: