Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My First Casserole...

... So, to tell you the truth, I never thought I'd see this day... but here's what happened...

We had this dinner, tonight, for all of the church staff. And I knew several weeks ago that I was supposed to ask Ruth what I should bring, but I kinda kept forgetting, because I am not real up with it when it comes to "pitch in" dinners...

When I finally did remember to ask, Ruth listed everything that everyone else was bringing and then told me I could bring a vegetable (this was after I offered to bring PBJ, but I was only kidding... sort of)... Now, vegetables are those things that grow in the ground or something, right? hehehe... Seriously, though... when we eat veggies at our house (which we do), they are usually in the frozen mixed veggies boiled in a pot variety or the hey go grab a carrot stick form. They don't look all that pretty, and I don't think you take that kind of thing to a "pitch in" dinner when asked to bring a vegetable dish...

So, I looked for recipes on-line... and I came up with a sweet potato casserole... yeah... It was made with orange juice, so I figured it couldn't be all bad...

My family's reaction to all of this was quite funny, but Seth's was the best. I had just pulled the sweet potato casserole out of the oven when he wandered through the kitchen and asked, "Mommy, what's that?" I told him it was the sweet potatoes, and he proceeded to cautiously ask, "Could you please not put any of that on my plate when we go to dinner, because it doesn't look like something I would like!" And then I laughed and promised not to put any on his plate (because he knows if I put something on his plate, he has to eat it... especially when we are in public)!

To tell you the truth, I thought it turned out pretty good. I'm not sure you're really supposed to add so much sugar or pumpkin pie spice to sweet potatoes, and I'm relatively positive that I went way overboard on the marshmallows, but hey... it looked pretty (and I did, indeed, take pictures, although I haven't uploaded them to my computer yet, so I won't be posting them... at least not tonite).

But I'm just not much of a casserole kind of girl... Except I guess I will be this week, because there is half a pan of the stuff left...

Lisa

No comments: