Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How To Make An Artistic Rendering With Visual Cues...

Oh... Cake...

It's another one of those moments when I sure am glad I didn't post the picture of how I'd hoped this would turn out...

However, this is not (by far) the worst cake I've ever made, and I guess I have to cut myself some slack for my first time ever working with fondant.

A note about marshmallow fondant...  It tastes like marshmallow peeps.  This is appropriate for the time of year, I guess, but Phil really hates peeps.  I don't think he's going to eat this cake...

The cake is presently sitting in the refrigerator, awaiting a 3 1/2 hour drive tomorrow.  Just in case it doesn't make it all the way to Grandma's house, there is a back up plan.  Grandma ordered a bakery cake, and I took the pictures I need to prove that I am a somewhat crazy, but awesome, cake baking mom... or at least I try...

After almost 16 years of marriage and now 40 kid's birthdays,
I still haven't figured out how to bake (or cook) without making a huge mess.
The kitchen and I went three rounds (this was round one)
before I gave up and Phil helped me clean:

That's a lot of fondant (more than I needed):

And that's a lot of shortcake
Again... more than I needed...
I sense a theme developing here:

 The cool whip and strawberries inside, just like I planned it:

 And the raspberries and Rice Krispies...
Well, not so much in the plan.
This was the point at which I just started throwing in whatever I could find
Perhaps we could call it Birthday Cake Casserole?
Uh... no:

The finished product...
Not exactly what I was trying to do, but...

When somebody got a sneak peek...

She loved it!

L.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks fantastic, Lisa!