Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, March 2, 2013

That's A Wrap...

The kids' first district quiz season is in the books!  Like most of life, it sure went by fast.

Good news is that both Seth and Grace will be advancing to the regional quiz at Celebrate Life in May!  Grace finished in 2nd place and Seth finished in 6th, and I could not be more proud of them if I tried!  The amount of work they put in this season was nothing short of incredible for a couple of rookie quizzers!  I may have mentioned this before, but Phil and I really went into this season with no expectations.  We just wanted them to get their feet wet and to discover a love for Bible quizzing.  I can remember when we first had Seth and people would ask us if we were going to "make" him quiz when he was older.  Our response was that we hoped he would "want" to quiz.  And he sure does.  Over a decade ago, I was quizmastering and simultaneously nursing Grace.  Talk about awkward, but you do what you have to do...  I think it must have just been built into her make-up to quiz.     

From day 1, the kids shattered the no expectation concept and put expectations on themselves.  We have done everything we can, as parents, to work within the structure of their personalities, abilities, and maturity level to help them reach their goals, and we've done well, but the accolades are not ours.

Grace's prayers before rounds yesterday really touched me.  "Lord help us to do this for you.  Help us to do this so that we will grow closer to you.  Help us to do this so that we will be in your word more.  Help us not to care about the points."

Please don't misunderstand.  There is a part of us that "cares about the points".  We are competitive people by nature.  We like to win.  Everybody knows that.  But I love that Grace and Seth have made that secondary to their spiritual formation.  Again... they do quiz to win.  But they also quiz, more importantly, to become the people God has created them to be.  That's a win-win any way you look at it!

How about some pics...

 Getting Ready to Leave for the Day:

Just finished my last round...
Where I misread three questions...
In the midst of a sneezing attack!
I finally found the source of my problem...
New carpet...
I am severely allergic to carpet glue...
And yes... that's coffee...


This might be in my top 10 favorite pictures... ever:
 L.

No comments: