Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, September 26, 2015

That's Not Her Door...


... Lessons from Monsters Inc.

Well, we've finally made it to Disney property a full week into our vacation!  We are affectionately referring to the first part of this trip as the vacation before the vacation, which is sort of fun.  Today was all about transitions... 

We often stay at multiple hotels/resorts on our Florida vacations, because it never seems like a good deal to stay on Disney property while going to non-Disney attractions, but it also never seems like a good deal to stay off property while doing Disney.  So, we expect to have a transition day (or two) most of the time.  Today was a good day for this.

We thought we were going to have a few hours to kill between resorts, but as it turned out, since Disney is amazing, we were able to check in several hours early.  This was a huge blessing for multiple reasons, one of which, I will admit, was that I caught a three hour nap this afternoon, which I am pretty sure has never, ever happened on vacation!

The kids spent the day plugged in.  That's fine, since we haven't so much as turned on a TV screen in a week!  This is the only way to "camp", let me tell ya...


I might have enjoyed the Duffy the Disney Bear bedtime story with Miah a little bit more than is probably appropriate at my age...



And then we went to a campfire and watched Monsters U on the big outdoor screen.  Miah thought this was very magical. 


Speaking of Monsters...

Although I would probably rather just blog vacation stuff at this point, I am going to throw this out there, because it eventually needs to be said.  Tonight is as good a time as any, particularly because I expect this post will get very little traffic due to the hour and lack of voluminous vacation pictures.

There is this scene in the first Monsters movie where Sulley and Mike are trying to return Boo to the human world.  Because Mike is just desperate to get out of the mess they're in, he makes a deal with Randall, who agrees to have Boo's door on the scare floor during lunch break.  Sulley and Mike can put Boo back through her door.  The door will be returned to its place.  No one needs to know what happened.  Everyone is happy.  It sounds brilliant, except Randall doesn't keep his end of the deal (villains rarely do), and he has the wrong door waiting for them when they arrive.  And, perhaps, the most endearing moment in the film (although there are a lot) is when Sulley takes one look and says, "Mike, that's not her door," and then refuses to do the only thing that will easily get him off the hook for bringing this toxic, human child into the monster world.

I don't know if there is any real connection here, but every time I have come to the end of an interview process in the past year, I have had that line run through my head, "That's not her door..."  Maybe it's because so many people like to talk about God opening and closing doors.  I honestly don't even know what I think about that anymore.  I keep wishing that someone would open a door.  For a long time I have felt as if I am simply standing at the wrong doors... doors that are steel enforced and locked, dead bolted, and chained...  I am pretty tired of knocking.  Maybe I'm wrong, altogether, and there aren't any doors at all... just walls.  And before anybody even says it, my climbing through windows days are over.

So, in case I've lost you, I took a phone call last night that was the latest in a long line of rejection letters, emails, voicemail, etc.  I am pretty sick of being awesome but not hired, but I guess there are two ways I could go with this disappointment.  I can sit around and cry about it, or I can let it fuel whatever's next.  I needed 24 hours to be frustrated.  I needed that three hour nap.  I needed a day for transition. 

I would imagine I am going to need a little more time to process this, but it is going to have to wait until after our vacation is over, because I am at the happiest place on Earth, and the truth is nothing has changed.  Maybe it would have been harder the other way...

L.     

Pictures Taken Today: 60 (if you count blurry cell phone pics.)

No comments: