Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Time...


I never, ever feel like we have enough of it at Epcot.  Over the years I've heard a lot of people refer to Epcot as the boring Disney park, but the truth is, I could spend at least an entire day in The World Showcase, and I absolutely intend to do just that, later in the week, so we set out to essentially conquer Future World, today, minus Soarin', because we have a fastpass for it on another day.  At least one person wondered why on Earth we were hanging out at Universe of Energy at an unreasonable time of the morning (getting caught using flash photography at that... embarrassing).  Well, now you know!

So, some of the members of this family weren't so sure that it was a fantastic idea to dress alike, but I have to say that the super shirts were a good call, because we got so much attention at the park, today, it was almost ridiculous!  Even those who were skeptical are now lobbying for a second day of super shirts.  This is a huge mom win, especially with teenagers:


We started off our day by walking onto Spaceship Earth (I know, I know, another bizarre choice for early in the day).  Miah is so funny.  She was convinced that when we reached the top we were actually in outer space, and she couldn't figure out why she was able to breathe without a helmet.  Have I mentioned what a magical age five is?

Miah thinks this sign says, 
"Don't stand up, and hold your mom's hand."
I did not correct her.

From there we headed to the aforementioned Universe of Energy and then onto Mission Space, where I took Ian and Miah on the less intense ride while Seth, Grace, and Caleb tried the more intense version.  As much as I like to ride, I just cannot do simulators well.  I felt slightly less stupid about this when I realized that they actually stock the ride with barf bags.  I must not be the only one who gets sick!  Anyhow, the mild version was doable, and the best part was that Ian and Miah actually thought that they were controlling the ride, and I'm pretty sure Miah was convinced that we landed on Mars. 

Things took a slight turn for the worse when we used our fastpasses for Test Track only to realize that we really don't like the new ride at all.  This was such a bummer, because we loved the old Test Track.  In addition, this is where I learned how the magic bands work (or don't) in relation to the ride photos, and I just hate it.  Upon checking the photopass site, tonight, our ride photos are not attached to my magic band, contrary to what the cast member told me, and I would be extremely unhappy about that, except I didn't like the photos, anyway.  This, undoubtedly, means we have to take another spin on Test Track, though...

We rushed through one side of Innoventions, which now apparently houses video games, and then made our way to Character Spot, where I immediately realized my enormous mistake.  I didn't bring anything for the characters to sign for Miah.  Are you kidding me?  I pride myself in planning these trips down the very last detail, and here I am, standing with my five year old, about to meet Mickey Mouse, and teetering on the edge of a complete meltdown, because I am failing at vacationing.  I had decided that Mickey could sign the park map, but a cast member, who I am sure was trying to help, didn't think that was the best plan and handed us a note card.  This is just not how we do things.  As an update, Phil sent me about a trillion texts from Wal-Mart, tonight, concerning which book and sharpies he should buy.  He is really rather amazing.  I had already forgotten again and didn't even realize this is why he went to the store.  He probably doesn't want me to have a nervous breakdown at Hollywood Studios tomorrow.

Seth is never going to live this one down.
I am going to tell everyone
he just couldn't stand the anticipation,
waiting for Mickey Mouse.
(He was really just peeking around the corner.)

Well, lunch was next at The Electric Umbrella, where we ordered just a few counter service meals, because we are trying to stretch this free dining as far as it can go.  I had several unhappy children who did not think they would get enough to eat.  In the end, we would have had leftovers if I hadn't continued to shove food in their little faces.  The chocolate cupcakes were a huge success:


After eating and feeling as if maybe everything in the world was not actually a disaster, The Seas with Nemo and Friends was up next.  The Living Seas has always been a favorite of ours, even before Nemo came to live there, but come on...  finding Nemo just makes everything better:

Well, hello there Nemo... and Marlin... and Dory:
You would think they might learn...
Eaten by a shark... again:
 You would think I might learn...
I have to stop doing this:

In addition, Crush spent some time talking with Ian and Phil during Turtle Talk with Crush, and it was so funny.  Ian, who ordinarily never stops talking, was just spellbound, giving quick one word answers.  Go figure.  The exchanges between Phil and Crush were hilarious.  I'm so glad we have all of this on video.

Then, over at The Land, we walked on to Living with the Land, which shouldn't seem like a big deal, but it was, because last time we were here at Christmas, and we couldn't even get on it. 

And then we rode Journey Into Imagination with Figment twice, because Miah loved it so much.  The cast member there had a pretty good chuckle over that, I think.  Most people probably don't ride that one twice in a row.  Again, this is an all time favorite, dating right back to my childhood.  Well, minus the smell lab:


All of the kids wanted to do Mission Space again, which was mildly distressing, since that meant I had to brave a simulator twice in one day, but we made it.  Just in time for a Florida downpour to hit...

We explored the other side of Innoventions a little bit, and when the rain slowed, we took another spin on Spaceship Earth, where we got stuck at the top (sort of fun, actually), and then we called it a day.  This is really weird for us.  We almost always arrive before the parks open and stay until they kick us out, but I guess this is an advantage of having such a long vacation.  There's no rush.  And, honestly, we're not as young as we used to be.  This is exhausting!

OK...  Just one more:
L.     

Pictures Taken Today: 130

No comments: