Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tribute to Grandparents, Part 2

Below is a re-post (with minor editing) of something I wrote about my Mammaw a couple of years ago:

More than half a lifetime ago, Mammaw went to live with Jesus on this date... and I still miss her...

I wish...

That she'd taught me how to sew...

That she'd met Phil...

That she'd seen her four beautiful great-grandchildren...

I wish...

That I had that bandana and T-shirt...

That I'd paid better attention when she was "whipping" potatoes...

That I'd gotten her nose, instead of her hair...

That I'd said, "I love you" one more time... Because I could have...

I'm glad that so much of her personality is in me... even the parts that other people don't understand... because deep down, those are some of the best parts...

On nights like this, I could use a hug... or a trip to K-Mart... or some fried chicken... or a game of chinese checkers... and the list goes on and on, because the memories are good...

I hope she'd be proud of the person I've become... and the person I'm becoming...

And I know she would, because she always seemed to see past my many faults anyway...

I doubt I'll ever...

Shell beans again...

Sweep the street in front of my house...

But I'm glad she did...

Lisa

No comments: