Happiest Place on Earth

Happiest Place on Earth

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Tribute to Grandparents, Part 3

My Nana was incredible. Her life spoke volumes as to what it is to live with kindness and class. Her death was quick and unexpected, and over a decade later, I still find myself not believing that she is gone. I have actually been a little irritated with her on more than one occasion for missing a big family event, because sometimes I still do not comprehend that she can't be there…

Nana was beautiful, even at 80. I can only remember her hair being messy one time. I'm not even exaggerating. It was in 1986. We took a family trip to Cedar Point and talked her into riding the newest ride, Thunder Canyon. Nana was drenched by every waterfall. She got off the ride laughing, and we were all laughing, too, because her hair was completely flat, and she was dripping…

Nana created fun. She would take me and my cousins on rides in the wheelbarrow and never failed to make Owl calls out the window to us when we were playing outside, no doubt laughing, when we looked around for the bird. She colored Easter eggs with us every year (even though Julie and I were mean and gave Amy all the broken ones), and she made Christmas cookies with us every year (even though we created some terrible concoctions that actually broke the filling out of one of her teeth).

Nana lived with me for the first seven years of my life in a little apartment that was attached to the back of our house. Whenever I would run through the den to visit, my dad would say, "Now don't ask Nan for anything!" So, I would burst through her door, climb up on one of the stools at her counter, and in my very sweetest voice I would say, "Nana, you make the best scrambled eggs… or milkshakes…" Nan would, of course, whip something right up, and she always told my dad that I didn't ask…

As I got older, Nana would take me shopping at Dancers for a new school outfit, each fall. When we couldn't decide which one to buy, she just bought everything. Nana always came up with very special Christmas gifts that were just what I wanted. She took me to get my hair cut. And she always brought plenty of lemon filled donuts when she came to visit. I wish I'd spent more time with her then, because I know she had much to teach that I never learned...

Nana loved to travel. Even though I don't even have a passport; I love to travel, too. One of these days (probably when the kids are grown up), I would love to visit some of the exotic places she's been. I have a hula skirt that she brought home from Hawaii, and I have a picture of her with a kangaroo. Not everyone can say that about their grandma! Even though I couldn't join her on her adventures, Nana taught me to hear the ocean in a seashell.

When I got hurt, Nana would comfort me by reminding me that it was a long way from my heart. And I know that a part of her still lives with me there.

I miss Nana. She was always there for me, even when no one else was. She cheered me on in everything I did. I often wish she could be there for my kids, too. And I always wish she was with me at Christmastime when I'm rolling out more cookie dough than I want to be…

But she's still traveling. I'll be looking for her quickly when I reach eternity, because I know she'll have a hug to offer, and then she'll show me all the most exciting places. Until then, I'll keep collecting seashells… breaking Easter eggs… and trying to exhibit just one ounce of class, so that I'll be a little bit like her…

Lisa

No comments: